Deutsch
You are here: Tourism - Churches and monasteries

Simultankirche (interconfessional church), Vogelbach

Simultankirche (interconfessional church), Vogelbach

The interconfessional church, built in 1131, is only slightly younger than the Speyer Cathedral. It was under the control of the Benedictine monastery of Wörschweiler. In addition to late Romanesque components it also contains Romanesque, Gothic, Baroque and newer style elements. In the Middle Ages it was an important station along the Route of St. James to the place of pilgrimage Santiago de Compostela in Spain, the burying place of the apostle James. As a hospital church it offered pilgrims a place of rest and medical attention. Since 1986 it has been a "Protected Cultural Assets" according to the Hague Convention.

Information: Touris office Bruchmühlbach-Miesau, phone: 06372/9220106

Abteikirche (Abbey church), Otterberg

Abteikirche (Abbey church), Otterberg

The abbey church, Otterberg's landmark built in the Romanesque-Gothic transitional style, has weathered all wars and unrests over the centuries nearly unscathed. The Cistercian monks built the church for their monastery in the 12th and 13th century. In its sobriety and ornamental austerity the building corresponds with the rules of the Cistercian order. Except for remnants of the chapter house and the abbot's house, nothing much is left of the monastery.

The abbey church (74 m interior length) is the largest church in the Palatinate after the Speyer Cathedral.

Information: Tourist office Otterberg, phone: 06301/31504

Kapitelsaal (Chapter house), Otterberg

Kapitelsaal (Chapter house), Otterberg

The chapter house is the only completely preserved room of the monastery's enclosure. It was built around 1185 and is purely Romanesque in style.

Its windows from the High Gothic period were installed while the monastery was still in existence. Guided tours available by prior arrangement.

Information: Tourist office Otterberg, phone: 06301/31504

Stiftskirche (collegiate church), Kaiserslautern

Stiftskirche (collegiate church), Kaiserslautern

The collegiate church is considered one of the most significant late Gothic hall churches in South-West Germany. Moreover it is the birth place of the "Palatine Union", for it was here that the Lutherans and Reformed of the Palatinate merged in 1818.

Information: Tourist office Kaiserslautern City, phone: 0631/3652317

Church ruins, Aschbacher Hof

Church ruins, Aschbacher Hof

1215 is the first documented mention of this church. In 1560 it became the first Lutheran church in the Palatinate. The steeple is all that remains today.

Information: Tourist office Trippstadt, phone: 06306/341

Protestant Stadtkirche (town church), Landstuhl

Protestant Stadtkirche (town church), Landstuhl

The Neo-Gothic building from the close of the 19th century was financed by donations collected throughout Germany for the oldest Reformed parish in the country. The portal is adorned with a red sandstone relief of the Sickingen coat of arms dating probably from the 16th century that was found during excavations in the ruins of the former Nanstein castle.

Information: Touristinformation Sickingen-Tourism Landstuhl, phone: 06371/1300012

Protestant church, Alsenborn

Protestant church, Alsenborn

The Protestant church dates from 1733. Remarkable are its medieval frescoes.

Information: Tourist office Enkenbach-Alsenborn, phone: 06303/913171

Schlosskirche (Castle church), Neuhemsbach

Schlosskirche (Castle church), Neuhemsbach

The Neuhemsbach castle was built in 1715. The castle church followed 25 years later under Count Friedrich Ludwig von Sayn-Wittgenstein. During the revolutionary wars the castle was plundered and set on fire by French troops in 1795. The church was rebuilt at the beginning of the 19th century.

Information: Tourist office Enkenbach-Alsenborn, phone: 06303/913171

St. Martin's church, Kaiserslautern

St. Martin's church, Kaiserslautern

St. Martin's church (today the Catholic parish church) is considered a good example of a medieval begging order's church.

Constructed at the beginning of the 14th century as a convent church of the Franciscans, it was enlarged in the 15th century. The baroque ceiling dates from the 18th century. Parts of the medieval town wall border the structure to this day

Information: Tourist office Kaiserslautern City, phone: 0631/3652317

Verena chapel ruin, Mittelbrunn

Verena chapel ruin, Mittelbrunn

At the edge of the village of Mittelbrunn you can find the ruins of the former village church. Having withstood the Thirty Years' War, it was last used for a service in 1718.

Information: Touristinformation Sickingen tourism Landstuhl, phone: 06371/1300012

Klosterkirche (monastery church), Enkenbach

Klosterkirche (monastery church), Enkenbach

The monastery church was built in the 13th century in the late Romanesque style for a Premonstratensian convent. Striking is the rich stonemasonry at the portal.

Information: Tourist office Enkenbach-Alsenborn, phone: 06303/913171

Alte Kapelle (Old chapel), Landstuhl

Alte Kapelle (Old chapel), Landstuhl

The official name of the building is "Chapel of the Cross", but it is popular known as the "Old chapel". It is the Gothic choir of the old medieval parish church of St. Andrew, embellished with filigree ornamental frescoes. The nave was torn down at the beginning of the 19th century because of its dilapidated condition.

Information: Touristinformation Sickingen tourism Landstuhl, phone: 06371/1300012

Marienkapelle (Lady chapel), Landstuhl

Marienkapelle (Lady chapel), Landstuhl

In World War II the residents of Landstuhl vowed to build a chapel, if their town would be spared major damage. The chapel was built in the midst of the forest, overlooking the town.

Information: Touristinformation Sickingen tourism Landstuhl, phone: 06371/1300012

St. Andrew's church, Landstuhl

St. Andrew's church, Landstuhl

The Baroque town church houses the tomb of the knight Franz von Sickingen. It shows the knight, in a larger-than-life full relief, in armor and standing on a lion.

Information: Touristinformation Sickingen tourism Landstuhl, phone: 06371/1300012

Protestant church, Olsbrücken

Protestant church, Olsbrücken

The Jewish architect Ludwig Levy built this church in 1884. He also drew the plans for the synagogue in Berlin. The richly ornamented wooden interior with its wide side galleries is reminiscent of Jewish synagogues.

Information:  Tourist office Otterbach, phone: 06301/607260

Catholic church, Weilerbach

Catholic church, Weilerbach

The medieval Catholic church from the transitional time from the Romanesque to the Gothic period houses the oldest baptismal font in the Palatinate, dating from the 12th century.

Information: Tourist office Weilerbach, phone: 06374/922131

Protestant parish church, Weilerbach

Protestant parish church, Weilerbach

Built in the years 1897/98, this church is one of the largest village churches in the Palatinate.

Information: Tourist office Weilerbach, phone: 06374/922131

Protestant church, Reichenbach-Steegen

Protestant church, Reichenbach-Steegen

The early Gothic ceiling frescoes in the choir vaults date from the 13th century. The steeple is of Roman origin.

Information: Tourist office Weilerbach, phone: 06374/922131

Baroque church, Heiligenmoschel

This church dates from 1749. On the wooden gallery you can find a baroque organ constructed by Philipp Daniel Schmidt of Meisenheim. It was built in 1782 and renovated in 1893. In 1984 the organ was retuned in the baroque tone and the rococo carvings restored by hand.

Information: Tourist office Otterberg, phone: 06301/31504

Catholic church, Otterbach

The Catholic church was completed in 1889. Because of its imposing organ and special acoustics, the church is frequently used for concerts.

Information: Tourist office Otterbach, phone: 06301/607260